Finding the best crates for a Great Dane is no easy feat when your pup is over 100 pounds.
Crate training a Great Dane is one of the best ways to make sure that your dog is safe, less able to make mistakes (such as peeing on your favorite rug), and less likely to chew up dangerous things such as cords and socks.
How to Crate Train a Great Dane Puppy
Crate Training for Great Dane Sized Dogs
kennel for great dane
Great Danes are giant breed dogs and most dog crates are NOT big enough! If you are looking for information on the best crates for a Great Dane, including the best custom crates for Great Danes, we’re sharing our favorite below.
THE BEST CRATES FOR A GREAT DANE
It is unlikely that you will be able to find appropriately sized Great Dane cages at your local pet store.
Most of the ‘largest’ dog crates sold are 48″, which most Great Danes will outgrow by 7-8 months of age! Great Dane kennel size is SO important because Great Danes need to be able to stretch their joints even inside of a crate.
Look for a giant breed 54″ crate. XXL crates typically come with a divider panel that can be used to make the interior smaller while your puppy is growing.
There are two main players for Great Dane Crates in the market: Frisco and Midwest Homes
DOUBLE DOOR VS. SINGLE DOOR CRATES FOR GREAT DANES
We recommend double-door crates, as they offer more options for placement in your home.
SHOP ON CHEWY
MidWest Solutions Double Door 54″ Crate + Crate Pad
SHOP ON AMAZON
MidWest Solutions 54″ Double Door Crate
MidWest Solutions 54″ Single Door Crate
CRATE PADS AND CHEW-PROOF COTS FOR GREAT DANES
For orthopedic health, Great Danes should always have a soft and supportive surface to lay on.
If your Great Dane is destructive, we recommend the K-9 Ballistics Elevated Cot. It’s spendy but much cheaper than having to purchase a new bed every month! The K-9 Ballistics cot is nearly indestructible.
For a basic, simple made-to-fit crate pad, try the 54″ MidWest Dog Bolster Bed.
CUSTOM CRATES FOR GREAT DANES
If you are wanting a crate that fits your home decor, consider a custom crate for your Great Dane! These are typically made out of wood and can have different stains, doors and exteriors.
Many Great Dane owners use custom dog crates as their TV stand!
Learn more about ordering a custom dog crate, starting at $1699 from BB KUSTOM KENNELS.
CRATE TRAINING RESOURCES FOR GREAT DANES
- New Great Dane Puppy? This Guide is For You!December is a popular time to get a new Great Dane puppy. I believe that a lot of this is related to the Holidays; puppies are readily available, adorable, and popular to receive or give for Christmas! If you are new to the world of Great Danes, or ready for a refresher, let’s jump in. […]
- Do Dogs Get Lonely? The Fascinating Truth Behind Canine DepressionDo dogs get lonely? Dog owners have long suspected that their furry friends get lonely for a variety of different reasons. Some dog owners report lonely dogs when they have to leave their dogs home alone for too long, their dog is the only dog in the household, or their dog isn’t getting enough mental […]
- Are Great Danes Easy to Train?Are Great Danes easy to train? Many people believe that Great Danes are stubborn, spiteful, and defiant. It can lead to questions about whether or not Great Danes are hard to train, especially as they are so large and can easily be destructive or dangerous. In this blog post, we will discuss some tips for […]
- Fear Aggression in Dogs: The Scary Reality That 1 Bite Can CauseFear aggression in dogs happens when a dog’s fear causes them to demonstrate aggressive behavior. Fear aggression can be directed at people, other dogs, or animals. It can also be generalized, which means the dog is afraid of anything and everything. The most common cause of fear aggression is a lack of socialization during the […]
- The Best Crates for a Great Dane: Crates that Fit 100 lb+ DogsFinding the best crates for a Great Dane is no easy feat when your pup is over 100 pounds. Crate training a Great Dane is one of the best ways to make sure that your dog is safe, less able to make mistakes (such as peeing on your favorite rug), and less likely to chew […]
How to Crate Train a Great Dane Puppy
HOW TO TRIM YOUR PUPPIES NAILS
HOW TO STRENGTHEN YOUR DOG’S FEET
Miniature Great Danes: The Pocket Size Version
Is My Puppy Too Skinny?
Supplements for Great Danes
How Much Do Great Danes Eat?
Any crate that can be used in an airplane?
I believe a lot of people get the 54″ Impact Crate for that. You have to confirm the details with your airline, but many will also require additional brackets.
Here is a link to the Impact Collapsible Great Dane travel crate: https://www.impactdogcrates.com/collections/crates/products/collapsible-dog-crate?variant=30743521099821
Here is the info from impact about the brackets: The Collapsible crate can become airline compatible with the Door Guard attachment and IATA brackets, which can be found on our Accessories page. We recommend calling the airline you plan to fly with ahead of time, as each airline has specific requirements for flying with pet cargo.
We hope this helps!